I always have muffins in my freezer for a quick breakfast or snack. I enjoy trying new muffin recipes and tweaking them to increase the nutrition. The original recipe I got from a magazine a long time ago; I made some changes to make it my own.
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- ½ c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. molasses
- 4 eggs or 1 cup egg-substitute
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. low-fat buttermilk
- 4 c. white-whole wheat flour
- 1 T. plus 1 t. ground ginger
- 1 t. allspice
- ½ t. nutmeg
- Beat oil, applesauce, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in molasses and eggs, beating well.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk.
- Combine flour and spices.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to the sugar/oil mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins or paper liners. Fill about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 36 muffins
Nutrition Facts per serving (1 muffin):
Calories: 137, Total fat: 4g, Saturated fat: 0.7g, Cholesterol 24mg, Sodium 88mg, Total carbohydrate: 24g, Dietary fiber: 1g, Sugars 11g, Protein 3g